Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Blue Cheese Potato Salad

Happy Canada Day. Today feels like it should be national picnic or backyard day. What better way to celebrate the beauty of our country then spending time with friends and family outdoors. I know that is what I will be doing today, taking a deserved day off from setting up the new kitchen and store to take time with my daughter and some friends.

The first item that comes to mind when I think picnic or bbq is potato salad. I remember my mom tasting a blue cheese potato salad many years ago and telling me about. Being the HUGE blue cheese fan that I am, I quickly added it to the menu where I was working at the time. It has become a staple on catering menus and will be a regular I am sure in the new store.

The nice thing about this recipe is the addition of sour cream which helps lighten it up. Feel free to subsitiute both the mayo and the sour cream with lighter versions if you prefer. Just don't skimp on the blue cheese as it is worth every calorie!


Blue Cheese Potato Salad
3lbs new potatoes, red skinned
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 sour cream
1/2 crumbled crumbled danish blue cheese
1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts
1 bunch chopped green onions.
salt and pepper to taste

Par boil the potatoes for 10-15 minutes until pierce tender. It is important not to over cook as they will get mushy. Allow to cool and slice. In a bow mix remaining ingredients, toss with potatoes and season with salt and pepper. This salad bodes well to being made ahead in order to allow the flavours to settle.

1 comment:

  1. Love Potato Salad...Love Blue Cheese. This sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete