Friday, April 24, 2009

Butter Chicken

For those of you who know me I have had a great affection for Indian cuisine for awhile now. One of my favourite meals with guests is to turn my kitchen upside down and create 4 or 5 different curries, pick up some samosas and fresh naan bread and have a feast. I have my favorites but the one recipe I was unhappy with was the butter chicken. I finally found a fool proof in less that 30 mins amazing butter chicken recipe. Here is goes. For the vegetarians substitute the chicken with tofu. Only cook for a few minutes after tofu has been added.

Simple Butter Chicken

1lb chicken breasts, cut in bite size pieces
1 lb chicken thighs, cut in bite size pieces
4 tbsp tandoori paste, I like pataks
1 cup plain yogurt
10oz can plum tomatoes, purred
1" piece of ginger, julienned
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp crush chili
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp paprika
1 cup whipping cream
2 tbsp brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste.

Mix the yogurt and tandoori paste, add chicken and marinate 1- 4 hours.

Mix the rest of the items in a dutch oven or something similar and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 mins. Add chicken and simmer an additional 20-30 mins until chicken is fully cooked. Check seasoning and add salt, pepper or sugar if necessary.

Serve with warm basmati rice, naan bread and raita. top with cilantro if you like. Some green beans sauteed in mustard seeds, ginger and coconut milk would be great too!

For wine, a nice spicy Gewurztraminer would be great. Try the one from Blasted Church!

No comments:

Post a Comment